Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Monologue Hunting We Will Go!

This week's Acting Essentials Class assignment is picking out a monologue.

There are a couple that I'm interested in trying, but I'm open to suggestions as well.

The first I'm considering it a great scene from Alice Walker's The Color Purple. The scene is from Steven Spielberg's adaptation. It's the moment when Shug tells Mister (Albert) that she and her husband are taking Celie to Memphis with them.

I think Celie begins with the line, "You a low down dirty dog..." It is a brilliant moment and a turn of events for Celie. I just need to find the script...don't fail me now Google.

The other I'm considering is from Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice.

Portia has a great speech about the quality of mercy in Act 4, Scene 1.

Here's a excerpt:

The quality of mercy is not strain’d,
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
’Tis mightiest in the mightiest, it becomes
The throned monarch better than his crown.


Shakespeare is remarkable and somewhat ambitious, but I sort of already know this.

What do you think? Suggestions are very welcome.


Xo
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment